Duplicate *without* transforming (Mac)

I am brand new, so I don’t know if I’m just missing something, but I can’t find a way to duplicate without moving an object.

In this video (at the linked timestamp), a shape is copy and pasted without moving. Using Cmd+C and Cmd+V moves the object to the side slightly, and so does the duplicate key-bind.

Hi @TheGoodDude22 in the tutorial it is used the copy button. I advice you to take a look at Learning Hub.

On mac version you can get the same result if you press ⌥ option key while you drag the spar with mouse.

P.s. I used keycastr to show the keys.

As detailed in the post, I’d like to duplicate without moving the shape, leaving it exactly where the original copy is. I’ve already figured out how to duplicate, but that button also applies the previous transformation.

Ok, maybe you have a problem about alignment, why do not try to use this method:

1. Copy the shape
  2. Align the shape

At the moment the official guide is not available but you can find it here soon: Learning Hub - Mac Operations.

Hey @TheGoodDude22,

Unfortunately it’s not possible to duplicate shapes on Mac without offset.
Our team is currently investigating ways to improve this feature. I will let you know as soon as I get any news.
In the meantime, I can suggest you to enable Smart Guides, they will help you to align duplicated shapes to the previous position. Hope this works for you.

Warmest regards,
Oksana

3 Likes

This has been my workaround. I don’t know why the behavior in the video is different than the behavior I’m experiencing. Thanks for the software recommendation!

1 Like