Incorrect value for Point (pt) leads to unexpected size displayed for a 1/2" square tile in Vectornator

I am currently using Vectornator Version 4.8.2 (36827) on a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running OS Monterey.

I’ve created a svg consisting of a single square tile that sits inside a group with a scale transform of 0.48.

The tile is 100 pixels by 100 pixels.

At the usual 96 pixels per inch this means a transform of 0.48 will render this tile at 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch.

<svg viewBox="0 0 0.5in 0.5in" width="0.5in" height="0.5in" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
<g id="mosaic" transform="scale(0.48, 0.48)">
<path d="M0,0 L100,0 L100,100 L0,100 L0,0 z" fill="rgb(0,0,0)" stroke="rgb(0,255,0)" stroke-width="0"/>
</g>
</svg>

When I view this file with Inkscape it displays correctly as 48px by 48px

When I change the Inkscape display units to inches it displays correctly as 0.500in by 0.500in

Loading this same file into Vectornator shows the same value “48” for View Units as Pixels AND View Units as Points.

This is incorrect. The value for Points should be 36 and not 48.
Points (pt): A point is a unit of measurement traditionally used in typography and print design, where 1 point is equal to 1/72 of an inch.

Changing the Vectornator display unit to inches shows the size at 0.67" which is incorrect.
This should display as 0.5 inch by 0.5 inch

Depending on whether you’re doing your transformation with pixels or points it is either

48 * 1/96 px per inch = 0.5 inches
or
36 * 1/72 pts per inch = 0.5 inches

In summary. In Vectornator the Pixel value is read correctly. The corresponding Vectornator point value is incorrect. It should be 36 and not 48. This is resulting in the wrong value when viewing the 1/2 inch tile using inch units.

Hi there @svgit,

Thank you for raising this issue and apologies for the inconvenience it has caused!

Before moving forward with the investigation process, would you mind updating to the latest App Store version of Vectornator in the event that this resolves the matter? I notice that you are currently running version 4.8.2, however, we have introduced numerous improvements and new features since this - most recently with version 4.13.3.

If the issue persists, we’d be happy to take a further look into it :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Helen

Thanks Helen

I’ve updated to version 4.13.3. The issue persists.

Its pretty easy to verify this issue.

Simply draw a shape in Vectornator. Select it to see its width and height dimensions.

Then go to menu “View” → “Units” and switch between “Points” and “Pixels”. Both units will show the exact same value. This is incorrect. Points are a different unit than pixels.

Regards
Mark

Bumping this thread. Any info?

Hey there @svgit,

Thank you for confirming! I have logged a ticket on the matter and will let you know as soon as the team have investigated the issue.

Cheers,
Helen

1 Like